Project SET was created to educate youth about the power and influence of media and its effects on our perceptions and behavior. As our culture becomes progressively more saturated with media messages and images, our goal is to give underserved youth the opportunity to gain knowledge and experience from major film, television, print and online professionals while learning to be critical media consumers. Project SET will better equip youth to become more civically engaged and active leaders through the use of media. Project SET is a 501 (c) 3 organization.
- Become more conscious and critical of their media intake.
- Learn how to use media for socially responsible gains.
- Hear from and make connections with film and television industry professionals.
- Visit the offices of media companies.
- Work on-set of major film and television productions.
- Learn basic film and television production skills.
- Work in small groups to create and screen a media project (short-film, etc.).
- Obtain pre-professional career experience for resumes and college applications.
Board of Directors
Alisha Cowan-Vieira – Founder and President
Ofronama Biu – Co-Founder
Hershelle Burton – Founder, Velvet Rope Inc.
Aja Byrd – Counsel, MTV Business & Legal Affairs
Bola Akinola – Senior Training Specialist,The Mount Sinai Medical Center
Melissa Lee – Managing Director, Coalition for the Improvement of Bedford-Stuyvesant (CIBS)
Erika Munro, Esq. – Senior Director of Business Affairs, Tru TV
Perry Rainey – Principal, Brooklyn School for Math and Research
Tracy McGraw – Vice President of Press, BET
Andre Wilkins – President and Director, Kick the Can Productions
Greg Garay – Visual Verbosity Web designer